Kennesaw area families don't have to travel far to get a real feel for camping. On Saturday, May 17, get away from it all at Swift-Cantrell Park. Enjoy camping under the night sky, along with backyard games, field activities, discovery stations, and campfire entertainment featuring professional storytelling, skits, stargazing, and s'mores. A hot dog dinner and pancake breakfast is included in the registration fee.
The Backyard Campout is hosted in partnership with Boy Scout Troop 002 of Kennesaw, and in support of the National Wildlife Federation's Be Out There movement, an annual effort encouraging children and families to experience the outdoors and connect with nature. Kennesaw’s Mayor has also proclaimed May 17 as National Kids to Parks Day, an annual nationwide day of play organized by National Park Trust.
|Saturday, May 17
|5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
||Camper check-in/setup tents
|6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
|6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
|10:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
||Flag retirement ceremony
*Evening activities include backyard fun, field games, discovery stations, and campfire entertainment
|Sunday, May 18
|7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
|8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
The registration fee is $15 per camp site (advance registration is required). A limited number of camp sites are available.
||However, waiting list registration is available. Placement on the waiting list does not guarantee a camp site. You will only be contacted in the event that a space opens.
- All participants under the age of 17 must be accompanied in their tent by their parent/legal guardian or other family member over the age of 18.
- Only tent camping is allowed. No pop-up campers, RVs, or open air sleeping.
- Each camp site is approximately 10' x 10' (with a 10' buffer between each camp site). Tents should not exceed the floor size of the camp site. Only one tent is allowed per camp site.
- The campground will be located in a grassy area near the picnic pavilions.
- Vehicles cannot be used to drop-off equipment at the campground. Equipment will need to be carried or rolled to the campground from the parking lot.
- Individual campfires, fire pits, fire bowls, grills and other open flames are not permitted at camp sites or inside tents. There will be several community campfires for group gathering.
- The park's gate will remain closed from Saturday at 10 p.m. until Sunday at approximately 6:30 a.m. Vehicles will not be able to leave or enter the park unless it is an emergency.
- A hot dog dinner will be served on Saturday night beginning at 6:30 p.m.
- Breakfast will be available on Sunday morning beginning at 7:30 a.m., and will consist of pancakes, bacon or sausage, doughnuts, juice and coffee.
- Restroom buildings will be located near the campground. Electricity is not provided at the campground.
- Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted in the campground.
- Smoking or tobacco use is not permitted in the campground.
- Representatives from the City of Kennesaw Parks & Recreation Department and Boy Scout Troop 002 of Kennesaw will be on site for the duration of the event.
What to Bring
- Tent with rainfly
- Ground cloth or tarp
- Sleeping bags (or sheets and blankets) and pillows
- Camping pad, air mattress or extra blankets to sleep on
- Clothing appropriate for the weather
- Pajamas, sweats or other sleepwear
- Personal items (toiletries, prescription medications, etc.)
- Beverages (drinking water will be available)
- Flashlight or lantern
- Bug spray
- Small trash bag
- Card games or books (optional)
- Camera (optional)
In the unlikely event of severe weather, the Backyard Campout will be rescheduled on Saturday, June 14. No refunds will be given if you cannot attend the rain date. Visit www.kennesaw-ga.gov/pkrec for updates on the day of the event.
- Your registration fees less a $5 cancellation fee will be refunded for all requests received prior to May 3, 2014.
- No refunds will be given after May 3, 2014.
- Refunds will be issued to the charging credit card or by check from the City of Kennesaw. Please allow up to 2-3 weeks for processing.
Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Idemnification
- Participation in the Backyard Campout can be hazardous, and participants must assume all risk. Furthermore, participants must agree, at their own expense and without exception, to indemnify, defend and pay all damages, costs, expenses, including attorney fees, and otherwise hold harmless the City of Kennesaw, its employees, officials, sponsors, volunteers, contractors and agents, from any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation.
- Participation constitutes consent to allow the City of Kennesaw to use images of participants, including photographs, video, audio, or other reproductions, for public relations purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
- Participants must give permission to the City of Kennesaw to obtain and authorize medical care for them at any hospital, emergency medical center or any other health facility; by any medical doctor, osteopath, nurse, surgeon or any other medical practitioner; agree to be responsible for the expenses of any medical care required; and hold the staff authorizing the medical care harmless from any damages suffered as a result of the medical treatment authorized.