Kennesaw area families do not have to travel far to get a real feel for camping. Get away from it all at Swift-Cantrell Park the evening of Saturday, May 5, through Sunday morning on May 7 at Kennesaw Parks & Recreation’s annual Backyard Campout event. Enjoy camping under the night sky, along with backyard games, dinner, s'mores and breakfast.
Backyard Campout is hosted by Kennesaw Parks & Recreation in support of the National Wildlife Federation's efforts to encourage children and families to experience the outdoors and connect with nature.
• The registration fee is $30 per campsite and includes a hot dog dinner and biscuit breakfast. A limited number of campsites are available. Advance registration is required.
Saturday, May 6
5:00 PM Camper Check-In Begins
6:00 PM Camper Check-In Ends
6:30 PM Dinner
7:30 PM Activities Begin
8:30 PM Outdoor Movie – Minions: The Rise of Gru Begins
10:30 PM Campfires Extinguished
11:00 PM Lights Out
Sunday, May 7
7:30 AM Breakfast
8:00 – 9:00 AM Camper Check Out
• Only tent camping is allowed -- no open-air sleeping. Each campsite is approximately 10' x 10' (with a 10' buffer between each campsite). Tents should not exceed the floor size of the campsite. Only one tent is allowed per campsite.
• All participants under the age of 17 must be accompanied in their tent by their parent/legal guardian or another family member over the age of 18.
• The campground will be located in a grassy area near the inclusive playground.
• Vehicles cannot be used to drop off equipment at the campground. Equipment will need to be carried or rolled to the campground from the parking lot.
• Individual campfires, fire pits, fire bowls, grills and other open flames are not permitted at campsites or inside tents. There will be several community campfires for group gatherings.
• Conduct that could endanger the welfare of others or infringe on others' enjoyment will not be tolerated and shall be considered grounds for immediate dismissal. Kennesaw Parks & Recreation employees, at their sole discretion, may terminate occupancy or remove individuals from the campground area with no refund.
• To help ensure the safety and security of participants and personal property, all campers will be issued a wristband at check-in that will be required to be worn for the duration of the event. Only registered participants, City employees and event volunteers will be allowed in the campground.
• Excessive noise, including but not limited to, loud talking, or sound generated from speakers, e.g., radios, mobile phones, handheld video games, etc., is not permitted during quiet time, which is designated from 11:00 p.m. on Saturday until sunrise.
• With the exception of accessing restrooms, campers are expected to remain in their tents, with lights/lanterns turned off, from 11:00 p.m. on Saturday until sunrise.
• Alcohol Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted in the campground.
• Smoking or tobacco use is not permitted in the campground.
What to Bring
• Tent with rainfly
• Ground cloth or tarp
• Sleeping bags (or sheets and blankets) and pillows
• Camping pad, air mattress or extra blankets to sleep on
• Clothing appropriate for the weather
• Pajamas, sweats or other sleepwear
• Personal items (toiletries, prescription medications, etc.)
• Beverages (drinking water will be available)
• Flashlight or lantern
• Bug spray
• Small trash bag
• Card games or books (optional)
• Camera (optional)
The City of Kennesaw's Backyard Campout event will take place in Swift-Cantrell Park, 3140 Old 41 HWY, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Parking will be available on-site. Vehicles cannot be used to drop-off equipment at the campground. Equipment will need to be carried or rolled to the campground from the parking lot.
We invite you to explore our list of volunteer opportunities and sign-up for a volunteer shift on our registration website, CivicRec. Please select “Volunteer Opportunities” to see a full list of volunteer opportunities for Backyard Campout.
For questions, please email our Partnerships & Events Specialist, Mara Clauson.
Partnership & Events Specialist
(770) 422-9714 x3197
(770) 422-9714 x3028
City of Kennesaw
Parks & Recreation Department
2753 Watts Drive
Kennesaw, Georgia 30144
Tel: (770) 422-9714
Fax: (678) 460-3373