Contact Kennesaw Police

Bill Westenberger
Chief of Police

Chief's Message

Division Contacts

Department Address:
2539 J O Stephenson Ave
Kennesaw, GA 30144
Emergency: Dial 911

Follow the Police Dept.

Crime Victim’s Bill of Rights

In accordance with O.C.G.A. Chapter 17, the Georgia Crime Victim’s Bill of Rights, the Kennesaw Police Department is posting the following information:

If you are the victim, or a family member of a victim, of one or more of the following types of crimes:

  • Serious Injury by Vehicle
  • Sexual Battery
  • Reckless Conduct
  • Burglary
  • Feticide by Vehicle
  • Homicide
  • Homicide by Vehicle
  • Assault/Battery & Feticide
  • False Imprisonment
  • Armed Robbery
  • Sexual Exploitation of a Child
  • Kidnapping
  • Cruelty to Children
  • Arson
  • Stalking

… then you are entitled to know the following:

  1. It is possible that the accused may be released from custody prior to trial;
  2. that you, as a victim, have certain rights during various stages of the criminal justice process;
  3. additional information about your rights can be obtained by contacting the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council at 404-559-4949;
  4. you may be eligible for monetary compensation for certain out-of-pocket expenses (from the State Crime Victim’s Compensation Fund) incurred as a result of your victimization;
  5. you may contact the HODAC’s Crime Victim Assistance Helpline at 800-338-6745 for assistance or clarification of your rights;
  6. you must be notified by the investigating law enforcement agency, of the accused arrest; and
  7. you must provide the investigating law enforcement agency with you current address and phone number if you wish to be contacted.

Crime Victim’s Compensation Fund

Who is eligible for Victims Compensation?

Innocent victims who have been physically injured in a violent crime. Including but not limited to victims of: Assault/Battery, Homicide, Child Abuse, Sexual Assault, Domestic/Family Violence, DUI Crash Victims, Vehicular Homicide, Hit and Run, Serious Injury by Vehicle,

Some other eligibility requirements include:

  • The crime being reported to proper government authorities (i.e. law enforcement, child protective services, the courts, etc.) within 72 hours. The 72 hours may be waived for good cause shown.
  • The claim must be filed within 1 year of the crime.
  • Applications received 2 years after the crime cannot be considered for compensation.
  • Victims of domestic violence may be eligible for loss of support.
  • A parent of a child victim may be eligible for lost wages, to compensate for medical time spent off of work with the child.
  • A Criminal History will be provided and analyzed on all victims 18 years and older.

Who is not eligible?

Victims of property crime; Victims who consent, provoke, or incite the crime committed against them; Victims who were participating in a criminal act; Victims who do not report the crime to law enforcement officials within 72 hours; Victims/claimants are required to exhaust funds from other sources such as health insurance, car insurance, social security, annual/sick leave pay, disability insurance, worker’s compensation, unemployment compensation or funds from other government agencies

Additional information regarding the Crime Victim’s Bill of Rights and the Crime Victim’s Compensation Fund can be found here.

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I obtain a copy of a police or accident report?

Come to the Records Unit anytime Monday through Friday from 7 am until 5 pm. Call 770-429-4532 for additional information.

How do I arrange for fingerprinting?

Fingerprinting is done Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8 am to 4 pm. Check in at the Police Lobby. A Staff Officer will be notified and escort the applicant to the print room and back to the lobby.

Does the Police Department offer GCIC background checks and alcohol pouring permits?

Yes.  You must have a Georgia photo ID and work permit if not a US citizen. In addtion, you must have no felony convictions within the last 5 years and no current alcohol/drug probation. Omitting any arrests regardless of disposition will disqualify you for 6 months. Two or more alcohol/drug convictions within the last five years will result in denial.

GCIC background checks  $15 cash; 9 am – 3 pm  M-F (next day pick up)

Alcohol Pouring Permits: $25 (new); $15 (renewals) cash; Mon/Wed/Fri,  8 am – 4 pm (next day pick up)

How can I report vehicles that are parked illegally?

If vehicles are observed illegally parked on the street or even private property, immediately call 770-422-2505 (police non-emergency) and ask that an officer be dispatched if possible.  No action can be taken to correct the situation unless an officer observes the violation. Cell phone photographs attached to a Kennesaw Support System ticket are not an acceptable substitute.

Does the police department provide a “safe transaction zone” for sales transactions of items initiated online?

Yes, the police department located in City Hall has a large lobby area which is an excellent safe area for transactions. Upon request, a police officer will even stand by.