Any individual, partnership, corporation or entity which engages in any activity with the object of gain, profit, benefit or advantage in the city limits of Kennesaw is considered to be engaged in business and must obtain a Business License/Occupational Tax Certificate for each location in the city limits of Kennesaw prior to starting business. Applications can be found by visiting our Document Center.

New businesses must apply for an occupation tax certificate prior to beginning operations. An existing company must renew its certificate and pay taxes each year, no later than March 31.  Occupation tax certificates are issued by the Business License Office Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.  You may fax your completed application to 770-429-4559. You will be notified of the fee and any additional documentation required.

The deadline for occupational tax certificate renewals is March 31 of each year. All payments received after that date will be assessed a 10% payment penalty and 1.5% interest per month. Please contact  the Business License office at 770-424-8274 if your business closed in a prior year.

Even though you may have already filed an application for your business license which is required prior to conducting your business in the City, you may need to contact other departments in the City for certain services. May we suggest the following for assistance with City Services:

Planning & Zoning Department

Home Occupation Affidavits: Home Occupation Affidavits must be approved by the Zoning Department prior to issuance of a business license for all home based businesses. Call 770-590-8268.

Sign Permits: If you are in Downtown Kennesaw, signs and structural changes must be approved by the Zoning Department prior to construction work being done in addition to other possible requirements from the City of Kennesaw. For information on this subject, please contact Darryl Simmons at 770-429-4554

Building Services Department

For building construction, repairs, permits, air conditioning and heating inspection, building inspection, plumbing inspection, electrical inspection or building permits, contact Jammie Newsome at 770-429-4554. Any monies owed to the City for license fees, permit fees, utilities and taxes must be paid prior to any licenses or permits being released or the conduct of any work in the City being done.

New construction or renovation done prior to a business occupying a new facility or building shall meet all code requirements for permits and licenses. Further, a Certificate of Occupancy and a Business License must be issued prior to the business beginning operation. To summarize, each business shall be in compliance with all aspects of the City of Kennesaw Code prior to beginning operation in the City.

Below is a list of additional services that may be required to conduct business in the City.


Water & Sewer

Cobb County Water System



City of Kennesaw Utility Department



Cobb EMC


Other Government Offices

Cobb & Douglas Public Health (Pre-Packaged Food Sales)

770-514-2300 (Restaurants)

Georgia Department of Agriculture (Food service permits or restaurant assistance)


City of Kennesaw Police Department Records Division (Alcohol pouring permits and/or fingerprints)


Cobb County Personal Property Division


Cobb County Fire Marshall

770- 528-8310

Cobb County Superior Court (Trade Name Registration)


Department of Human Resources (Licensing of child and adult daycare centers)


Alcohol License Approved Workshops

All new business license applicants and existing licensees shall attend an alcohol sales and service workshop for owners and managers on a workshop approved by the Business License Manager.

Evendi, Inc.

770-988-9970 or 770-640-8862

Health Communications Inc. – TIPS

800-438-8477 ext. 336

Training Institute for Responsible Vendors, Inc.

404-531-9237 or 800-382-7675