The City of Kennesaw invites area residents, families, neighborhoods, non-profit, civic and faith-based organizations, local businesses, schools, local sports teams, athletic clubs, etc. to design and create a scarecrow to display on Main Street for the fourth annual “Scarecrows on Main” display.
A $25 application fee to the Kennesaw Downtown Development Authority is required with the entry of each scarecrow. All monies raised will go to promoting the downtown through beautification projects and events. Application fee can be paid by check, money order or cash. Please make checks out to the Kennesaw Downtown Development Authority. Scarecrow spots will not be reserved until receipt of the application fee.
Rules & Guidelines
- Scarecrow placement will be determined by the City of Kennesaw.
- Spaces are 4 ft. x 4 ft. Your design MUST fit in your 4×4 allotted space. Please be aware that some spaces will have limited height and depth due to sidewalks, trees and driver visibility – chosen location will dictate the size of the display.
- Scarecrows must be freestanding.
- Scarecrows MUST rely on a base to stay upright. A steady base is required to be weighed down (bags of sand, bricks, weights, etc.).
- Scarecrows are not permitted to be attached to existing sign poles, light poles, utility poles or vertical structures. Do not put stakes in the ground. Displays staked in the ground or attached to any existing structures will be removed.
- Scarecrows MUST be able to withstand the elements. Any scarecrows that fall down will be removed.
- Maintenance of scarecrows is the responsibility of the participant. If a display becomes an obstruction to pedestrian or street traffic or becomes damaged or in disrepair, the City of Kennesaw reserves the right to remove and dispose of the scarecrow.
- If using paint, use waterproof paint.
- No real pumpkins are allowed, artificial only.
- Signage, if applicable, must be physically attached to the scarecrow and may be no larger than 18” by 24”. Signs staked in the ground will be removed. Signs can be staked into a prop that goes along with the scarecrow display.
- All scarecrows should be family-friendly. Please refrain from anything offensive or distasteful. If the City deems anything inappropriate, you will be asked to remove your scarecrow immediately and may not be permitted to participate in the future.
- The City of Kennesaw cannot be held responsible for any decorations or items lost, broken or taken while on display.
- All scarecrows must be removed by the end of the day on November 2, 2023. Any items not removed by the removal date will be removed & disposed of, and participation by your organization may not be permitted in the future.
September 10, 2023: Application Deadline
September 18, 2023: Participants Receive Assigned Placement
September 19, 2023 – September 29, 2023: Installation
November 1, 2023 – November 2, 2023: Removal
Applications for 2023 Scarecrows on Main are closed.