The City of Kennesaw Building Services Department provides state-of-the-art services to enhance the building environment. The department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Georgia State Minimum Standard Codes and related procedures for permitting and inspections of buildings within the City.
**SPECIAL NOTICE: Effective January 1, 2024 new water conservation rules will go into effect that apply to all NEW water fixtures like faucets, toilets and landscape irrigation systems. Existing water features are NOT affected. Please note water fixtures for residential homes are subject to different standards than water fixtures for commercial businesses. Please view the signed ordinance using this link.
APPLY FOR A PERMIT
- Apply for a Permit
- Start the Certificate of Occupancy Process (7-Step Form)
- Search for an Existing Permit
- View Permit Fees (Master Fee Schedule)
- View the Homeowners Affidavit Form (for Homeowner Permits)
All permits must be applied for online. If you are unsure whether a permit is needed or whether a property is located within the city limits, please call (770) 429-4554 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most construction activities in the city require a permit through the Building Services Department, which provides permitting and subsequent inspection measures designed to help the homeowner and/or contractor through the process. Many projects will require review and approval by outside agencies such as Cobb County Fire Marshal’s Office & Cobb County Water System.
The permitting and subsequent inspection process ensure that all construction is done safely and in accordance with the adopted codes and city ordinances.
Schedule an inspection
All inspections must be scheduled through the City’s online portal. You must have your permit number and contractor’s code to schedule an inspection. Please note that the cut-off time for next business day inspections is before 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
Inspections are conducted by the City’s Community Development Department in order to maintain safety standards in accordance with state-mandated guidelines and city ordinances. Inspections are designed to protect citizens, the environment and maintain a level of safety for the city.
LAND DISTURBANCE PERMIT & Site REVIEW
- View Submittal Procedures, Development Procedures & Requirements
- Apply for a Site Review
- Apply for a Land Disturbance Permit
A site review is required prior to applying for a land disturbance permit. The Department of Public Works will make the determination of the number of land disturbance permits being issued for the project. Please contact the Building Services office at (770) 429-4554 or Public Works (770) 421-8582 for more information.
Impact fees mean the payment of money imposed upon and paid by new development as a condition of development approval as its proportionate share of the cost of system improvements needed to serve it. Impact fees only apply to new development.
- View the Code Enforcement Page
- Submit a Code Enforcement Complaint
- View the Status of a Current Code Complaint
If you need more information on code enforcement regulations, please visit the Code Enforcement homepage linked above. Have a code enforcement concern? Create a complaint by clicking the “Submit a Code Enforcement Complaint” also linked above.
PLAN REVIEW COMMITTEE
- Please call either (770) 429-4554 (Building Services) or (770) 590-8268 (Planning and Zoning) to schedule a Plan Review Committee appointment*.
- The committee meets on Thursdays by appointment only* for 30-minute timeslots at City Hall.
- * Applicants must provide city staff with at least 3-business days notice prior to a regularly scheduled Plan Review Committee meeting to be able to attend.
Plan Review Committee meetings are for developers and property owners who need guidance on construction projects both large and small. This service is provided at no cost to anyone who is interested in attending. The duty of this committee is to provide review and regulatory oversight over all development regulations that involve development activity in the City of Kennesaw.
Committee members include representatives from the following departments:
- Building Services
- Planning and Zoning
- Public Works
- Economic Development
Building code information
- Georgia DCA Construction Codes
- International Code Council
- Atlanta Electrical Contractors
- Building Energy Codes
- Georgia Construction Licensing Board
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2020 National Electrical Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- Life Safety Code (NFPA 101)
- Georgia Accessibility Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code All inspections
- National Green Building Standard
OTHER DEPARTMENTS & AGENCIES
- Kennesaw Planning & Zoning – (770) 590-8268
- Kennesaw Public Works – (770) 421-8582
- Cobb County Community Development Department – (770) 528-2060
- Cobb County Fire Marshal’s Office – (770) 528-8000
- Cobb County Water System – (770) 770-419-6200
- Cobb & Douglas Public Health – (770) 514-2300
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs – (404) 679-4840